- Extended paging allows for much larger page frames 4mb instead of 4kb
- Allows for large amount of contiguous linear addresses to be converted until large sections of contiguous physical addresses. The kernel can do so without intermediate paging thus saving memory
- Allows for preservation of TLB entries
One less level of paging.
- This changes the format of the linear address
- Most significant ten bits: Entry in page directory (select page)
- Lease significant twenty two bits : Offset in page frame
- Enabled using the PSE flag of the cr4 register both extended and regular paging can be used at the same time